The Savings Bank was founded in 1912 under the name of The Circleville Savings and Banking Company. There were six original incorporators: Phillip Herrnstein, Henry C. Allen, J.R. Noecker, Frederick Barnes, W.L. Peters and H.M. Crites.
On March 1, 1912, the first Board of Directors of The Circleville Savings and Banking Company were elected. They included: H.M. Crites, H.C. Allen, W.L. Peters, Charles Gerhardt, J.J. Mast, John C. Goeller, G.W. Runkle, Phillip Herrnstein, Frederick Barnes and J.R. Noecker.
Twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) was needed as start-up capital, so sixteen investors purchased stock at $100 per share to raise the money. The original sixteen shareholders were: J. R. Noecker, H.C. Allen, W.L. Peters, Phillip Herrnstein, H.M. Crites, John W. Goeller, G.W. Runkle, Carrie L. Runkle, Charles Nauman, J.J. Mast, Charles Gerhardt, Meeker Terwilliger, J.M. Morris, J.P. Brown, Frederick Barnes and F.E. Archer.
On April 20, 1912, The Circleville Savings and Banking Company received the authority from the Superintendent of Ohio Banks to open its doors.
The first location of the bank was 110 North Court Street, in Circleville. At the end of 1912, The Circleville Savings and Banking Company had grown to an asset size of $38,480.15. By 1924, the asset size had grown to $1,781,199.02.
In 1913, the bank moved to a small front location in the Pythian Castle, just next door to the bank's first location. Today, the bank utilizes entirely what was The Pythian Castle for the Main Office Branch and Operations Center.
In March, 1961, The Circleville Savings and Banking Company corporate title was changed to The Savings Bank. In 1964, The Savings Bank built its first drive-in facility at the corner of North Court and Pinckney Streets.
In December 1977, The Savings Bank entered into the ever-changing world of technology by advancing from a hand-posted, manual system to computers.
On August 15, 1983, The Savings Bank grew geographically with the purchase of the Ashville Bank, located at 18 Long Street in Ashville.
In 1987, The Savings Bank built a new drive-in at 120 Pinckney Street, which included the convenience of six lanes.
In 1988, the Bank's first ATM was installed at the drive-in facility at 120 Pinckney Street - another welcome convenience for customers.
The Savings Bank was the first bank in Pickaway County to offer “installment” loans, and the first to offer “home equity” loans.
On January 28, 1991, the ability to serve customers in the western part of Pickaway County was made possible by the purchase of the Williamsport Office.
On April 9, 1992, The Savings Bank celebrated an asset size of $100,000,000.
On February 29, 2000, a new branch was opened at 501 Long Street in Ashville.
As of March, 2012, The Savings Bank's asset size was approximately $291,000,000.
In September, 2015, The Savings Bank opened a new branch in London, Ohio.
The Savings Bank continues to grow. Technology allows us to offer our customers products to fit their needs and state-of-the-art banking services that can be performed with the click of a mouse, anytime, day or night.
The Savings Bank remains a true “Community” Bank. While technology allows our customers the freedom to do their banking when and where they choose, we welcome our customers to come in and personally talk with an officer, teller or bookkeeper.
Below are some of The Savings Bank's Presidents and Chairmen of the Board, past and present:
- Phillip Herrnstein, President, 1912 - 1917
- Henry C. Allen, President, 1917 - 1932
- John Goeller, President, 1932 -1954
- Turney M. Glick, President , 1954 - 1965
- Marvin G. Steely, President from 1965 - 1975
- George D. Young, Chairman of the Board, 1975 - 1991
- Walter Garner, President, 1976 - 1979
- Harry J. Clifton, Chairman of the Board, 1991 - 1999
- Larry Priest was president of the bank from 1979 to 1991
- Stephen A. Gary, President / CEO of The Savings Bank, 1991 - 2014
- J. Jeff Farthing, President, 2014 - Present
The Savings Bank’s current Board of Directors:
- Thomas F. Tootle, Chairman of the Board
- J. Jeff Farthing, Board Secretary / Director
- Connie Campbell
- Richard Clifton
- John R. Ankrom
- John E. Bowers
- H. Scott Clifton
- Robert D. Mabe
- Robert Baum
- Stephen A. Gary
Celebrating our 100th anniversary in 2012, The Savings Bank remains a COMMUNITY BANK!